When I started to be seriously interested in makeup and beauty products I never thought it would come with the whole package : new amazing friends, new creativity challenges and more fun, but sometimes telling your friends you are passionate about makeup can be seen as “inappropriate for your age“, “shallow“, or “pointless“, I had this kind of conversation more than once :
“What do you do on your free time?“
..this, that and I have a beauty/makeup blog”
“oh…. really ? you don’t look like that kind of woman…“
“hmmm and what would that particular kind be ?”
There is a sudden embarrassing silence, then I stop their agony and change subject before they have a stroke… Maybe I don’t match the “beauty model magazine” standards, or can you not enjoy makeup after you reached a certain age ?? Ok, I don’t wear a killer smokey eye on a daily basis but make up is not only intended for runways or movies and it’s not only meant to make you look fake and superficial, I just want to have fun and use it to make me look healthier, glamorous, yet natural.
I receive many emails from women in their 40+ who would like to start using make up but who just don’t know where to start. Unfortunately I am no professional, all I know I got it from talking to make up artists or to sales assistants at the beauty counters, getting advice from Youtube gurus and watching nice and useful videos so if I can manage a nice make up look, you definitely can.
My needs were different some years ago, now I focus more on anti-ageing tutorials and products more adapted to mature skin. It depends what you are expecting from makeup, just make you feel better ? more confident ? younger ? fresher ? desirable ? or just conceal a few flaws ? Lisa Eldridge gives great advice on her channel so just try Youtube and search for what you want to do and try it for yourself. Tammy is a sweetheart, I just recently discovered her channel, I can’t believe I didn’t see it before, a great resource for anti-ageing advice and she is so fun to watch. If you know of any other gurus that give anti-ageing tips, please share !
I will be 42 in 2 weeks therefore today I am simply trying to achieve an enhanced version of me, a fresher and healthier one, exactly like Wayne says here. I cannot pull off strong and heavy makeup looks at my age but I can still look sexy with a smokey eye, there is a beautiful and hot smokey eye for everyone, it’s just a matter of getting to know your features, choosing the appropriate products for you and using efficient make up tools also helps a lot, it takes time but it’s so worth it.
I have tried my best to show you an example of a natural look, how it can be enhancing without shouting makeup. In these 4 pictures this is how it evolves from the 1st picture to the 4th :
- Starting with a bare face (just moisturizer)
- Foundation has been applied (Suqqu), I was very pale due to working so many hours, I needed some color to make me look a bit healthier so I applied a slightly darker foundation but if you do that, careful with neck delimitation. My eyes were very red and tired so I applied some whitening drops and then curled my lashes. I gave my brows a bit of definition with the Tom Ford brow sculptor.
- In that picture I have added :
Chantecaille Contour fill on the lips, very efficient against fine lines, provides a soft plump effect and works nicely as a base.
Addiction Sugar Blond pencil to draw the outer of the lips, just a thin line very blended, this will help define the lips a bit better and make them appear more full and this pencil lasts forever.
Chanel Rose platine on the bottom lash line to open the eyes, as a luminous long-lasting base for the eyeshadow that I will apply on top
Nars Rue Bonaparte in the waterline, to remove the redness
Nars eyeshadow base, but if I needed a color correcting base, there are some from Laura Mercier or Too Faced that I would use instead.
RMK contour powder in MT-08, just because it’s easy to apply and fits my skintone shadow perfectly, it’s a no-brainer.
Concealer used : Burberry pen, it’s my favorite highlighter concealer, doesn’t deliver a lot of coverage but it’s very comfortable to wear, doesn’t dry my under eye area.
- In the last picture I added :
Chanel Prelude eyeshadow palette on the eyes, a basic look with the very light shade on all the eyelid area, a medium shade in the crease and the darkest to define the eyes and in the outer v.
RMK extra deep W mascara
RMK mix for cheeks 04 as blush
Rouge Bunny Rouge Sweet to touch as highlighter/powder (just in the temples, cheekbones and nose bridge)
By Terry Lip Definer in 1 Rosy Nude
Rouge D’Armani in 509
By Terry gloss in Honeymoon
My main rules : no harsh lines, no glitter, no creasing allowed. Keeping the skin healthy and glowy is also very important for me since I have extremely dry skin so if I use setting powder it has to be the thinnest powder, like the Suqqu or this Rouge Bunny Rouge Sweet to touch for example.
Taking some time in the morning to get ready can have a lot of benefits and it does make a difference for me, well it can’t do miracles but it does wonders 🙂 Although we all agree skills and qualifications are the main key to our success we certainly can’t deny that part of it comes from our self-confidence and that’s where makeup can play a useful role, be somehow empowering by giving us that little extra boost of confidence to go through the day. Women who take care of their appearance are seen to be more competent, amiable and trustworthy (taken from psychological studies), feeling good also affects how we interact with people around us, we will be more pleasant, we will sit taller, we will speak with conviction and that doesn’t only apply to our workplace but also at home with our family.
For me makeup is essentially pure fun, I have fun trying new products and shopping, specially makeup brushes as you may know alerady… We all love shopping and beauty but when these two are combined for me it’s simply just heaven ! Aldona got it so right : It’s fun AND exciting !
If you are just starting, start with safe products, easy to apply and fool-proof. Every one is different and the products that work for me may not work the same way for you but I can show you some of my safe products just to give you little ideas. I have some rare or LE items shown here but I need to mention them because I just love them way too much and who knows, maybe the same or similar products will be available on their permanent range in the future.
Some of my safe fool-proof products for the face
- Shiseido S6 Champagne Flush (I think it’s being discontinued but I would love it to remain in their permanent range)
- Chantecaille Les Petales de Rose (LE but I will find a dupe, this is great with pores and very appropriate for day time)
- Guerlain Radiant Butterfly (LE, I will try to find a dupe), I don’t really love the Meteorite balls but the pressed version in compacts are amazing.
- Mac Shell Pearl (I just heard it’s being brought back… I love this powder from the first day, in summer I abuse it)
- Clarins Cotton Flower palette (my everyday hg highlighter, it just brightens in a very subtle way, it’s LE but I wish I could find a dupe without having to spend $$$, honestly this one makes me think of Suqqu quality)
- Ellis Faas foundation
- Guerlain Terracotta Sunny Pink blush
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Gracilis
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Sweet to touch
- Becca Nymph
- Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight
- RMK MT-08 (contouring)
- Chantecaille Emotion blush, some blushes are more fine and more adapted to ageing skin, this is an example but I love Burberry, Tom Ford and many more…
- RMK Mix for Cheeks in shade 4, RMK blushes have the great benefit to be long-lasting and very finelly milled so it’s a 100% win
- RMK MT-04 blush
Something extra for the eyes
If you want to have a look at my favorite eyeshadows for more mature eyelids please have a look at this post, most of them are already mentioned in there.
The other eye products I find extremely easy, helpful and safe to use are :
- Mascara RMK extra Deep W
- Nars eyeshadow base
- Urban Decay eyeshadow base
- Benefit eyebright, I put this in the inner corner of the eyes, faster and easier than using powder
- Chanel Rose Platine
- Nars Rue Bonaparte, I have to say the Nars Larger than Life are fantastic, creamy and long-lasting which is quite rare, sometimes they are too thick and I need to apply them with a brush if it’s on the lash line
- Nars Via Appia
- Addiction Rabbit Hole, great color if you don’t want black but “nearly black”, I will last all day and can be precisely applied straight from the pencil
- Tom Ford brow sculptor, there are cheaper options, no need to go for TF
- Benefit Fake up, I just bought it and it feels nice and moisturizing as a concealer for wider areas
- Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer FBI, impressed with the texture of this, I prefer the Burberry but this delivers a bit more coverage
- Burberry Sheer concealer Soft beige N°02
- Trish McEvoy Line Refiner (please see comment further down about this product)
- Mac Blacktrack (use a brown gel eyeliner if black is too harsh for you)
Some of my safe and HG products for lips
- Chantecaille contour fill
- By Terry gloss in Honeymoon
- Edward Bess Night Orchid lipstick
- Rouge d’Armani in 509
- Cle de Peau T5
- Shiseido RD203 (replacing my beloved discontinued Chanel 77 Santal, it’s nearly exactly the same color and texture, mentioned here)
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Marco
- Chanel Bois de Rose
- Make up for ever 1C
- By Terry 1 Rosy Nude
- Addiction Sugar Blond, multipurpose
My little favorite “anti-ageing/anti-tiredness” tricks
I work way too many hours, all in front of a computer screen, sometimes my eyes are red and tired, if I have an important meeting I really don’t want to look like a tired rabbit, so I apply some whitening drops. If you have an interview and you couldn’t sleep at night maybe that would help you look fresher.
For the lips I love to apply a beige liner around the lips, without looking harsh it gives a nice definition to the lips and helps lipstick or gloss to look more neat.
The Chantecaille Lip Contour is also a winner for me, I cannot live without it anymore.
The Trish McEvoy Line Refiner won’t do a miracle but it helps to give a smoother aspect to the skin. There are actually many products like this one, they can give a temporary help whenever necessary.
Be creative and think outside the box, if one product doesn’t work one way, it can work another, mixed or blended, or applied differently but don’t take it too seriously, make up is supposed to be fun, therapeutic, so enjoy its benefits and stop feeling guilty about taking some time for yourself !
And for even more fun, please hop to Aldona’s website and have a look at her website and funny t-shirts 😉
I couldn’t help getting one 😛
If you have questions… don’t hesitate and thanks for reading !!
HAVE FUN !!!
My very big thanks to Aldona for creating these fantastic and funny drawings <3