Hakuhodo J Series – J103, J125R, J4002, J5541, J7011 – First pics

By  |  27 Comments

I have just ordered a few more brushes from the Hakuhodo J Series, at this rate  I will probably manage to get my hands on all of the white ones before Christmas :P

The new ones are :

• J103
  • J125R
  • J4002
  • J5541
  • J7011

They will be reviewed shortly and my comments will be added in my main J Series post available here.

I the meantime I just wanted to share some pictures, this is to give you a little idea of their size and shape and maybe you are wondering how they compare to each other.

They have been washed only once since I got them yesterday and I haven’t used them yet. It’s a bit too early to give you my first impressions but at least you will see what they look like.

Here they are amongst other similar ones :

The big and most expensive from the J Series : J5541

J5541 vs J501 – Sideways

J5541 vs Tom Ford Bronzer

J5541 vs Tom Ford Bronzer

The little J4002, small version of the J4001 :

J4001 vs J4002

There is a small Mac similar to this one but I very much prefer the J4002 :

J4002 vs Mac 188

I was loving the J122R, but I was using it everyday with cream shadows and I seriously needed a second one as I am usually working with two different cream shadows at the same time. I am happy that the other one is smaller, provides even more precision :

J122R vs J125R

J122R vs J125R

J125R (top) vs J122R (bottom)

J125R vs J122R

The J103 shape is a bit weird, it doesn’t look as perfect as the S103 :

Hakuhodo S103 vs J103

I am loving the goat fan brush J4004, but I really wanted to get the mixed one, here is the size/shape difference between the two :

J7011 (top) vs J4004 (bottom)

J7011 vs J4004

I will use these brushes for a few days and wash them a couple of times, then I will share my thoughts on them and add my comments on the main post.

I hope these pics are helpful :)

Talk soon !!!

Like Be the first one who likes this post!

I am the girl with a zillion brushes and clearly not enough control, extreme when possible, often irrational, forever passionate, only occasionally wise but I'll always care about you.

27 Comments

1. Stacy

4 October, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I love it! Don’t stop! :)

2. mikmik90

5 October, 2012 at 12:44 am

Looking forward to your review!
    xxkarima

3. cc

5 October, 2012 at 6:47 am

You are such a temptress, Sonia!

I shall wait for your Ultimate Favorite Brush List before I make my next purchase.

I hope I won’t ‘accidentally’ place another order before I see your list. Fingers and toes crossed! :D

• Sweet Make Up Temptations

5 October, 2012 at 7:29 am

:D Sorry about that.
      This last Hakuhodo order is definitely not the best one I placed but I couldn’t resist …
      I have the beauty blender, tried it only once or twice, but it was taking me too much time and I am not very patient in the morning. I haven’t found the best way to use it quickly and efficiently.. yet.. did you ?

• cc

5 October, 2012 at 7:53 am

No I haven’t.. I am also experimenting it.. but there are so much raves about this little pink sponge.. I need to find a way to use it..

4. cc

5 October, 2012 at 7:09 am

On another note, have you tried using Beauty Blender sponge for foundation application?

• Sweet Make Up Temptations

5 October, 2012 at 8:18 am

I know Dena likes it and I just saw Wayne’s last video with Mandy and it really does look interesting but gosh sometimes I can be stubburn and lazy :P
      I will have to try it more in depth before my post on favorites brushes is uploaded ! Just to make sure I am not missing on something…

5. Dena

5 October, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I actually only picked up my beauty blender this morning for the first time in months – I also don’t have time and patience to use it in the mornings. I like it with cream foundations, but I tend to use it more on other people, particularly with older and drier skins. When my skin is particularly dry, I prefer the BB to a brush.

I think part of the reason I don’t use it that often is that I love the feel of a brush – it feels more luxurious than a little pink sponge!

6. Nikoleta

5 October, 2012 at 4:01 pm

you’ll have the hole collection soon :) The J501 is really tempting. As for the shadow brushes they are HG for me, especially the J125R, it applies every shadow like dream, blends, crease. It is the only eyebrush I took with me on my holiday and even used it before applying shadow with my BB concealer.

• Sweet Make Up Temptations

5 October, 2012 at 7:22 pm

By the way, I find the J501 so much softer than the J5541. The J125R and 122 are amongst my favorites too !

• Jeanette

13 August, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I plan to buy two of these, where I would order the J125R for my teenage daughter who covers blemishes with concealer and could use a better brush to blend it with, and then another one for eyeshadow for me.

Would you recommend the J125R or the J122R for eyeshadow?

7. Jane

5 October, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Oh NO, Sonia! Your J series posts are killing me slowly. My steely resolve in resisting is wearing awayyyyy! :)

I’m compiling my Hakuhodo (and Chiku) list based on your blog. I’m going to need to save for a long time!

• Sweet Make Up Temptations

6 October, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Hi Jane, I am so sorry … ;)
      Tomorrow I will finally upload my very top favorite brush post and it’s full of Chikuhodo and J Series… and a few other brands as well ;) Since I have discovered these I had to change all my brush favorites.

8. Bruce

13 December, 2012 at 11:33 am

Does the J4001 brush absorb much product? What do you use it with?

• Sweet Make Up Temptations

14 December, 2012 at 10:48 am

Hi Bruce,
      I use this brush with a few different products, I can give you some examples :
      Chanel cream bronzer (Soleil tan de Chanel)
      Givenchy Croisière healthy glow powder (it’s more a creamy texture than powder)
      Highlighters like Guerlain Meteorites, Estee Lauder Shimmering Sands, etc any product that has a creamy finish – bronzer or highlighter – that you don’t want a heavy coverage.
      In terms of foundation, I use it with Mac Mineralize cream foundation when I want a light coverage (no makeup look), which is quite often actually. It does not absorb too much product at all, this cream foundation is thick and stays on the tip of the brush, I don’t use it with liquid foundations since I have others that I like more for that.
      You could also use this brush with sparkly powder products or very pigmented blushes, I don’t, but it is supposed to work well with that.
      Hope this helps :)
      Sorry for my late reply !

• Bruce

21 December, 2012 at 7:08 am

Thank you so much :) I’ve heard it was a really soft stippling brush and had my eye on it for a while but I was still concerned about how it would perform. It seems to be a multi tasker, thanks for the reply!

9. Nikoleta

28 January, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I love hakuhodo for their customer service and fast shipping : I got my brushes in five days ! I’ve ordered two other J5523 : you’re right, Sonia, the more you use it, the more it gets better (so, I have four of them now), another G545, the J142 (from your comparison photos, it seemed the most appropriate and it’s divine for crease and blending), the J122 and the G513 (I wanted the S122 but I’m waiting for my koyudo angled eye brush and was afraid it will double the S122 all the more since I almost never use powder eye shadows, BTH the J version will suit same purposes). In fact the G513 is very angled but with quite big flat surface so perfect for lid application and as the angle is so pronounced, it fits nicely in the crease. All in all, I’m happy :) The problem is that when I get such nice brushes, I want more of them:)

• Sweet Make Up Temptations

28 January, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Four ? you beat me :)
      you are right, that’s why I got crazy !!!

• Bea

28 January, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Oh dear, this reminds me I haven’t acquired my J series yet. They were supposed to be my next big brush purchase but the Koyudo fu-pas derailed that lol. I have quite a few of the G series brushes but I want to try the J series next. :)

10. Lea

25 June, 2013 at 7:32 am

Hi Sonia,
    May I know what is your favourite brush to use with liquid foundations?
    Thanks :)

• Sweet Make Up Temptations

25 June, 2013 at 11:53 am

Hi Lea,
      my fav is the Rae Morris radiance brush because I feel it’s more important the finish of the application than the application itself and this Rae Morris allows me to deliver a very flawless finish of liquid foundation. If you don’t mind waiting a few days I’ll have a fun post on selecting make up brushes, and I am featuring foundation ones so this may help you.
      Even though my fav is that RM, I have many others that are closely at the top too, it depends what I wear :)

11. Lea

26 June, 2013 at 2:10 am

Thank you so much Sonia :). I will look out for your upcoming post on brush selection. I have been a silent reader for some time and your site has been my go-to site on brushes and I just want to thank you for all your time, passion and dedication in putting together all your wonderful and informative posts, especially on brushes… I especially loved your post on “Enjoying Japan” and am so glad you had such a lovely time there immersing yourself in the culture and place. Have a great time in Spain!

• Sweet Make Up Temptations

27 June, 2013 at 10:17 pm

thanks Lea ! yes ouch… a crazy passion it is, thanks for your understanding and support :D
      glad (really) that I am not alone !!! you don’t even imagine, I feel a bit more “normal” with my little amazing support group here ;)

• Lea

4 July, 2013 at 3:03 am

I couldn’t agree more Sonia! We all share the same passion about beautiful and amazing brushes :).
        Ever since I discovered your site I have been logging on every day to read all your wonderful posts. It’s thoroughly addictive!

12. NiceMarmot

13 August, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Okay I’m way late to the party so I may not get a response but I am between the J5541 and J501 for pressing on loose setting powder. I know the former is a bit larger than the latter, although they both seem to be a good size – which would you recommend?

Add Comment Register