I admit, I love luxury.
Tom Ford says :
“My mission is to bring luxury back, expressed through my voice and my style. It is important to me to instill glamour, integrity, and sophistication in everything I do.”
Everything in these brushes feels luxurious, the packaging, the handles, the quality of the natural or the synthetic hair and the finish, but there’s a catch : the price. Their price starts at 35 Gbp for the cheapest brush up to 80 Gbp for the Bronzer brush.
The Tom Ford brush collection is made of 12 white bristle brushes, natural or synthetic depending on the brush, the handles seem to be made of the same material and color as his eyeshadow quads, blushes or the new lipsticks.
I have 7 Tom Ford brushes and I will be giving you some information on the ones I own today :
|Tom Ford Brush
||Full length||Hair length||Width of the
|02 Cream Foundation||15||2.5||2|
|11 Eye Shadow||17||1.5||1|
|12 Eye Shadow contour||16.3||0.8||0.8|
|13 Eye Shadow blend||17.3||1.8||0.6|
|14 Smoky Eye||16.5||1.0||0.4|
Table is in cm (cm x 0.39 = in)
I have always preferred brushes with white bristles, whatever the brand. They look dirty faster than black brushes but I have washed these many times and they always clean perfectly well and revert to the original color, no stains left behind at all.
I have tried to ask at the TF counters what hair they were made of, they always replied “natural hair”. What natural hair ? They could not tell me, at that time they had just launched… I had a very short look at their file since it was open on the counter and I read “goat” and “horse” but I am sorry I cannot tell you exactly which one since they could not confirm…
They are so incredibly soft, I guess that for the bronzer brush, they may have picked goat hair from the neck region since these are the softest, longest and thinner hair but this is only a guess…
- They are well-balanced and feel heavy.
- I did not experience any eyeshadow fall-out during application.
- They did not shed.
- Most of them are very densily packed.
- The hair are perfectly shaped, I just cannot find any flaws on the ones I have.
- They don’t have a funny smell.
- If they fall on a hard surface, I am not sure how they would react, my bronzer brush did and there is a very tiny chip on the handle, you cannot see it unless you look very close but they may be more fragile than any other Mac or Louise Young.
- The gold ferrule is exactly the same gold color as the Hakuhodo S100 series, but I don’t know if they are also made of brass-rolled 24-karat gold with clear coating…
They are protected with a small plastic brush guard that covers the bristles and also another full size plastic brush bag, they come in his typical TF boxes.
They are made in Japan, JAPAN is engraved on the back of all the brush handles.
These creamy Feline Gaze eye pencils are available in 3 shades :
- Salome : intense matte black
- Calypso : jet black base with light pure silver and aqua blue reflection
- Lola : metallic dark brown with light copper reflections
Three things to remember :
- They are very expensive, 4 Gbp more expensive than a Chanel, 5 Gbp more than a Nars Larger than Life
- They are not waterline safe
- They are automatic, you can twist them up but you cannot twist them back down…
The quality is much better than a Chanel or a Dior waterproof, they are creamier and more long-lasting but the colors are not that unique to me and you can find similar colors out there at a cheaper price.
You can smudge them immediately after application but don’t wait otherwise you will not be able to smudge them at all, they will stay put for the day and even longer…
I am always in the hunt for the best lip liner, I love when after 4 to 5 hours I can still see the definition and the color on my lips, I am very happy if they last that long since I am always playing with my lips, drinking or talking too much
I can finally say that I am happy with the ones I own, they have very decent long-lasting wear and I consider them flattering for my skin tone.
I use them to fill my lips entirely, as a base for a lipstick or a gloss. They need to be non-drying, drink-proof and if possible, kiss-proof… better be ready
I have 5 lip liners that I reach for all the time, I will show you my 5 top favorites but also some of the ones that I like but I don’t wear as often.
These are my top 5 favorites :
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Esteban
- Make Up for ever 1C
- Chanel Naturel
- By Terry Rosy Nude
- Chanel Bois de Rose
A picture with my favorites and the others that I also enjoy wearing :
From left to right :
- Nars Rue Bonaparte (to line the outer lips for better definition)
- Mac Beurre (to contour)
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Esteban : flesh toned peach, RBR describes it as “metallic” but it has a natural shiny finish on my lips.
- Make Up For Ever 1C : light neutral beige, matte finish, lasts forever …
- Chanel Natural 34, beige, pinky-nude, satin finish, goes with everything and very very good long-lasting power.
- By Terry Rosy Nude, well… rosy-nude color… matte finish, flattering and long-lasting.
- Chanel Bois de Rose, deep rose with some red, the finish is more satin than matte to me, I find it extremely flattering, it brightens my whole face and has become my HG. Very long-lasting, released with the Spring 2012 collection but I have been told it will be permanent… Thank God !
- Edward Bess Natural, the finish is like a creamy satin and very comfortable, it’s supposed to be an universal shade, I like it but I think it has a bit too much brown for filling my lips with, and I don’t use it often since the color does not last at all on my lips.
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Vasco, cherry blossom powder pink, matte-satin finish on my lips, like all the RBR, this one is very long-lasting, will be gorgeous for a pinky-nude lipstick for the summer !
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Marco, medium cool raspberry, pure-matte they say in RBR site but the finish is not like MUFE C1, this one still has like a satin finish to me… I use it with darker lipsticks or to define the contour a little more precisely when I need to.
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Roald, pale mauve, pure-matte, they say again, but to me it’s like it has kind of a satiny finish.
- Catrice Lost in the Rosewood 030, it’s the cheapest of all, delivers a very natural color, with a satiny finish, but does not last that long on my lips.
- N7 Nude 20, Lisa Eldridge created this color for N7, she wanted the perfect nude lip liner and that’s what it is. The only problem is that it does not last long on my lips unfortunately.
None of them are drying on my lips, they are all comfortable and most of them very long-lasting.
Swatches of all of them together :
I have recently discovered the By Terry lip glosses, I have tried the 3 formulas below and I will share some swatches and my little experience with you. I am not completely crazy about lip gloss in general, I don’t really need it in my life, but if you love lip gloss this brand can be of interest to you.
Unfortunately they are very expensive and I also recommend you try the different formulas before you purchase because if you don’t like them, you will be wasting a lot of money.
My lip gloss profile
My all time favorite glosses are Rock & Republic Sexy Beast, Runaway and Mistress, Burberry Blush, By Terry Gold Digger.
I wear gloss on a regular basis but with a very light hand application, I don’t want to look tacky or sticky …
One thing I totally hate is when you can feel the sparkles on your lips and they have that awful gritty sensation… sparkles yes but they shouldn’t be gritty !
At the By Terry counter they have 3 formulas :
1. Gloss Terribly Shine (Spring 2012)
2. Gloss Délectation
3. Laque de Rose IP/SPF 15
My best friend Eric was in London last week on a business trip and I asked him if he could stop by at Selfridges for me…
Eric is the nicest and most generous guy and I just don’t understand why he is still single, certainly because he works way too much So, he visited the make up counters and he picked up all the items on my wishlist.. I just cannot thank him enough for that !
My wishlist contained a huge lot of Suqqu…. Suqqu is one of these brands that I don’t even need to swatch or try before I buy, I know I am going to love it. I wear Suqqu on a daily basis, to work, in the evening, or to any special occasion, Suqqu totally delivers, the colors are often neutral but with a twist, very pigmented and absolutely non-chalky. Exactly what I am looking for.
Make up is all about emotions and passion, it makes you feel happier, more confident, sexier… this is how Suqqu makes me feel and why I love this brand so much.
Some of the items launched in this Spring-Summer 2012 collection are limited edition and some others are permanent :
Suqqu Blend Color Eyeshadow
- 09 Usumoegi
- 10 Kozuecha
- 11 Himesango
Suqqu Nuancing Cheeks :
- Ex-01 Botaniro LE
- Ex-02 Kohakusur LE
- Ex-03 Akanemizu LE
Suqqu Creamy Glow Lipstick Moist :
- 01 – Haruoto
- 02 – Kurumiro
- 04- Tousakura LE
Bright Veil Face Color
- Ex-01 LE
Suqqu Blend Color Eyeshadow
Unlike the previous palettes, these new palettes are quints, the bottom left being a split pan with two of the darkest shades. I actually also swatched the darkest shade of each palette wet to see what they could look like, you will see those wet swatches further down in this post.
I got the 3 new eyeshadow palettes :
Each palette comes with two little cute applicators, usually they always go straight to the bin but these looked interesting. I tried them and actually they work ! I prefer full size brushes of course, these are tiny but if you don’t have full size brushes, they would do the job. I even consider keeping one in my daily make up bag for emergencies :
and this is what Suqqu packaging looks like, sleek and elegant as always :
The palettes have tiny holes at the back and you can pop out the pans if you want to mix them with other palettes for example, or if you finish a pan, you can buy a replacement, maybe they won’t have the same color but Suqqu also sells individual eyeshadows.
In each one of the palettes, the lightest and darkest shades are mattes, the other colors are also very interesting, I love the way they reflect the light, they are extremely long-lasting and so finely milled that they feel like the softest silk.